Wine Review: Treves Nebbiolo Canavese DOC 2016

trevesA different expression of Nebbiolo than what we are accustomed to.

The Treves features pretty, well delineated aromas–dusty cherry, hints of anise and rose, with a bit of mushroom in the background. But this is a spare and slender wine with a wan smile and dry, sardonic wit.

The entry on the palate is thin with a compressed fruit layer. There is some top note thrust with a stony climax at midpalate but little depth or roundness to rein it in. The finish is lengthy with sandy tannins that don’t grip. But the lack of persistent fruit power yields sour and bitter threads giving the wine a rustic feel.

By no means a brutal wine, it’s civilized as Nebbiolo goes. A pairing with Cat Power’s “The Greatest” makes the bitter seem sweet.

Notes: The Canavese DOC is a Piemonte appellation north of Turin which produces a variety or red and white wines. This wine is 95% Nebbiolo with Barbera and Freisa making up the other 5%. The wine is aged in barrels for 3 months.

Score: 88

Price: $18 (Purchase Here)

Alc: 13%

3 comments

  1. But in the end, it’s all noise and one more thing I am thankful for: Ability to filter out noise. After all, we are on this side of the grass for a very short time and why not enjoy that time instead of bitching about it?

  2. I agree with you 100%. I think it’s the words “pie” and “meat” in the same sentence that has such a psychological impact on people even though they’ve probably all eaten quiche or a chicken pot PIE at one time or another.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.