News from the world of food and wine that you might have missed this week.
- Can you taste the difference between Japanese Sake and American Sake?
- From India, the great onion heist.
- Is this the beginning of the end of marketing junk food to kids?
- The French now prefer soft baguettes. Another sign of the decline of French culture.
- From the ridiculous-to-the-absurd file, a restaurant that serves only sandwiches with bacon.
- Food from your homeland or ethnic group can produce shame as well as pride.
- A compendium of really bad diet recommendations.
- And a compendium of negative reviews of great restaurants on Yelp. Some people haven’t a clue.
- An interesting article on the science of why you should sauté vegetables when starting a stew.
- Julia Child was wrong. Don’t wash raw chicken.
- Chefs in the stone age used spices.
- One side in the debate about whether wild yeast fermentation in wine is for real.
- Is there such a thing as food addiction?