News from the world of food and wine you might have missed this week:
- For some time, I’ve been oogling from afar Modernist Cuisine, the six-volume, uber-expensive bible of molecular gastronomy. Soon I may take a closer look. Modernist Cuisine at Home, a comparative bargain at $140, will be out in October.
- Some good news regarding the sustainability of fish stocks.
- Here is more discussion of food as the new rock.
- And speaking of controversy,Thomas Keller has some further thoughts on the chef’s responsibility to encourage sustainability.
- Scientists have unlocked the genetic secrets of the tomato. It turns out they have many more genes than humans. Genetically modified tomatoes may be in our future.
- Everything you want to know about tannins in wine